Thursday, April 15, 2010

Long Term Effects of English 402

As this is my last blog post for the class I thought it would be appropriate to write about what I have learned and what the long term effects of this class may be for me. As I stated in my first blog I have never been a fan of English classes. I am happy to say that this one was a different animal all together. This was the first time I enjoyed an English class and felt that it would be directly applicable to my real life. Of course not everything was applicable as I do not see myself becoming a copywriter or a freelance author. Although I enjoyed those sections as well. Actually I had the most fun with the pitch letter because I got to write about something I knew. I am a little embarrassed to admit that I had no idea that anyone could write in to a magazine. In fact it sparked my interest a little, not because I want to become a writer, but because the challenge of being published sounds intriguing. Will I actually follow through with it? Probably not any time in the near future, but at least now I know the opportunity exists. If some day I become passionate about something and feel the need to be heard, I know where to start. If that doesn't work I can always take what I learned from Tom and publish a book on Amazon.

The most important thing I took from this class was an awareness of rhetoric. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) this is the one thing that will definately stick with me and that I have seen in my life already. I notice rhetoric in everything now, and I suspect people of trying to sell me something with every word they speak. Which leaves me with the question, have I become aware or paranoid? Probably a little of both, but for now it doesn't seem to be hurting anyone so I choose to believe that it is a useful tool that I can use to my advantage.

1 comment: